Monday, August 11, 2008


Drumkeeragh Forest – a thin place?
I’ve recently started visiting a forest not far from my home called Drumkerragh for walks and solitude. I first heard of it from Charlie who is very fond of taking his dog for walks there. Then of course it’s also infamous for the murder that happened within its boundaries in the autumn of 1991 were a woman stabbed to death her lovers wife. It is also linked to the £22 million Northern Bank robbery as a hostage was held captive within the forest. Leaving that aside but I wanted somewhere to stretch my legs and were I could be alone to hear God’s voice.

It’s a lot to do with a post (placed 8 below this one) I wrote a few weeks ago questioning why I found communication with God easier whilst on holiday than at home. In it I alluded to finding a place near home which could be described as “a thin place” as the Celts called it – a place were communication with God comes easier.

If I’m honest that post was written on the 27th July and I’ve done very little to find a place like this since. The lesson is yet again that I need to live with intent. It’s all good and well having all these thoughts which I record on my blog but if they don’t amount to behavioural and spiritual change then they don’t amount to a hill of beans. It’s time to move up a gear and ensure that my thought process moves into behavioural change and spiritual growth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

stop ........... don't tell anyone else about Drumkeeragh! I'm worried in case the Forestry people start to clean it up.

Anonymous said...

hhmmm not sure what ya mean Mr. Anon. Do expand...