Sunday, July 27, 2008

Our " thin place " - as the Celts called it...
It’s hard to believe it but nine years ago Jane and I went to Donegal for the first time to check out her brother’s new caravan. Since then each year we have returned at some stage whether it’s been deepest winter or "warmest" summer. It’s our magic place were we seem to be able to leave the real world behind and enter a kingdom of mountains, castles and beaches. Not to mention the very enjoyable fishing, golf courses, coffee shops and long walks.

More than this we have always had rich times with God whilst there. The Celts called a place were it seemed easier to meet and communicate with God "a thin place" and for us Donegal is certainly this. His presence seems so much more tangible in Donegal especially whilst walking a beach in the early morning sunshine or reading his word in the car whilst the evening drizzle throws a rainbow over the bay. Time and time again we’ve come home feeling spiritually renewed and with a clearer picture of what God's being saying to us as we travel through the current season of our lives. Last week was no different!

My question is how come I don’t let myself have more of these experiences at home? Why do I need to travel 2½ hours up the road to experience this. I know God does not leave me nor does he live solely in Donegal so why is it so much harder to connect with him in South Down?

My conclusion is that I need to stop letting every day life drown out God presence from my consciousness. I need to make time to walk mountains and shore lines when I’m at home and solitude is an old friend I need to get reacquainted with.

This lesson is far from new to me. I’m 35 now and my guess is that I’ve revisited this lesson on average twice a year as I’ve travelled through my adult life. I get frustrated with this but I take encouragement from the fact that the re-visitation of the lesson happens.

Ps. 3 or 4 photo's have been added to "The Photo Album"

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Loved the article mate, because it's simple truth. I know the feeling, theres that special little place where special things happen and 9 times outa ten it's somewhere removed from everyday habitation/life.
I think that's normal though. Jesus told us when we pray that we should enter our 'Closet'. I think in the closet, be it donegal, a lake, a bike trail or a park bench, is where we find what we need from God to take into everday life. Home, workplace,hobbies, families etc. are legitimate but not always appropriate to try and 'squeeze' God into, a moment here and a moment there. It's when we seperate ourselves not just from the distraction, but the vicinity in which it normaly happens (even when it isn't), that nothing lays hold on us, except God.

Debs Erwin said...

Glad your souls got ministered to! And I love all the photos!