Monday, May 05, 2008

Naivety, prophecy, arrogance and values...
In my mid teens I can remember clearly saying to a close friend that I was not going to live a normal boring 9 to 5 life. It’s funny how some memories can be so vivid. I can remember at the time we were joining the Knock dual carriageway from the Castlereagh Road and we were sitting in his works Montego estate.

I have often reflected on my statement and thought of it as arrogance but on reflection and unknown to me at the time it was a prophetic statement of what was in front of me. Since that time I have worked as a

*Shoe Sales Assistant – employed with Saxone (Walking in the footsteps of my granddad who was a shoe repairer & retailer – see what I did there walking & shoes baaa hahahahaha).
*Railway Parcel Porter – employed by Red Star Parcels.
*Book Keeper – employed by Red Star parcels to look after accounts.
*Factory Worker – employed by MSO making the cardboard sleeves for blank video tapes.
*Multi Storey Car Park Cleaner – employed by the Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company.
*Book Sales Assistant – employed by Bargain Books.
*Detached Youth Worker – Employed by the SEELB to work on Bangor sea front.
*Area Youth Worker – Employed by the SEELB to support youth clubs in the Ballynahinch area.
*Senior Youth Worker – Employed by the SEELB to support youth clubs and facilitate training in the Lisburn area.
*Centre Development Coordinator – Employed by Youth for Christ to manage the support of local youth centres and staff across the province.
*Foster Carer – Looking after children in care within my home.
*Care Worker – Employed by Prospects to work with adults with a learning disability in a residential setting.
*Residential Worker – Employed by the South Eastern Health Trust to work within Children’s homes.

When I made that statement as a teenager wet behind the ears as I was I didn’t realise that I was outlining a value that I had sub-consciously adopted and would put in place as I embarked on my working life. This value I continue to hold dear and it is to pursue, cherish and value different experiences. One of my observations has been that a fun filled life is often filled with variety and diversity and I was and am still keen to get a slice of both.

That’s why on Friday last I open a new chapter of my working career and took on a wee part-time job as a window cleaner. Thankfully we operate a new system of poles and brushes as ladders would not have been for me. I’m delighted to say after having cleaned the windows of 11 houses that I had a ball – and I have a funny feeling that this chapter is one I will look back on fondly.

The next exciting chapter will see me embark on a career in counselling as I graduate at Christmas. I'm looking forward to it very much...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

That's pretty cool. Reading your article hit all the right notes as my own experience, but then being SO much younger than you, my number of different adventures aren't just as far on :)
keep it up..I think next of all you should be a groundskeeper...Don't know why, I can just picture it so well in my head it seems right.