
Through the looking glass…
(Warning if you don’t like self analysis – don’t read this – you’re under no obligation to)
For the last 6 months I’ve been on placement and getting to use my counselling skills live as it where. I’ve also started to prepare myself for personal counselling. Whilst this is a requirement of my course I’m glad for the chance to engage with it. With these two things active in my mind and experience I’ve started to walk through and analysis the corridors of my life. I’ve gazed at and touched the points that have been good and reluctantly held those that haven’t. I’ve reengaged with what’s been painful and celebrated what’s brought joy.
I’ve enjoyed my life so far and I’m chuffed with the quality of it, I’ve been very fortunate and God has genuinely blessed me. I’ve so much more of life to journey through and as I stare at the horizon in front of me I look forward to it with an expectant heart. To get the most out of it I will however need to tackle some demons. Some of them I’ve known for a long time, I’ve even nurtured a few and held their hand in the mistaken belief that they’ve value or will bring comfort. Others are relative strangers; they have been in my live like silent partners. I haven’t necessarily been consciously aware of them but their influence when analysed is undeniable.
Something that has recently surfaced and come to my attention has been the role of fear in my life. It may surprise you, it may not, but a significant part of my daily existence is influenced through fear.
I’ve often stated that my self esteem is like the tide and I’ve come to realise that part of the reason for that is down to fear. I’ve realised that a lion sized share of my self esteem is based on how i perceive others to perceive me. (You may want to read that again to make sense of it) Often my analysis of how others percieve me is frequently reviewed ….No wonder I’m fearful and no wonder my self esteem is so fluid in nature.
I’ve so much more ground to cover in this area and I look forward to it. It may sound a strange thing to say but I choose a positive outlook with processes like this one. I recognise that it will in turn influence the quality of my practice (counselling) and ultimately and more importantly my life.
“Word for today” spoke into this issue today and very helpful it was too. (Click here)
(Warning if you don’t like self analysis – don’t read this – you’re under no obligation to)
For the last 6 months I’ve been on placement and getting to use my counselling skills live as it where. I’ve also started to prepare myself for personal counselling. Whilst this is a requirement of my course I’m glad for the chance to engage with it. With these two things active in my mind and experience I’ve started to walk through and analysis the corridors of my life. I’ve gazed at and touched the points that have been good and reluctantly held those that haven’t. I’ve reengaged with what’s been painful and celebrated what’s brought joy.
I’ve enjoyed my life so far and I’m chuffed with the quality of it, I’ve been very fortunate and God has genuinely blessed me. I’ve so much more of life to journey through and as I stare at the horizon in front of me I look forward to it with an expectant heart. To get the most out of it I will however need to tackle some demons. Some of them I’ve known for a long time, I’ve even nurtured a few and held their hand in the mistaken belief that they’ve value or will bring comfort. Others are relative strangers; they have been in my live like silent partners. I haven’t necessarily been consciously aware of them but their influence when analysed is undeniable.
Something that has recently surfaced and come to my attention has been the role of fear in my life. It may surprise you, it may not, but a significant part of my daily existence is influenced through fear.
I’ve often stated that my self esteem is like the tide and I’ve come to realise that part of the reason for that is down to fear. I’ve realised that a lion sized share of my self esteem is based on how i perceive others to perceive me. (You may want to read that again to make sense of it) Often my analysis of how others percieve me is frequently reviewed ….No wonder I’m fearful and no wonder my self esteem is so fluid in nature.
I’ve so much more ground to cover in this area and I look forward to it. It may sound a strange thing to say but I choose a positive outlook with processes like this one. I recognise that it will in turn influence the quality of my practice (counselling) and ultimately and more importantly my life.
“Word for today” spoke into this issue today and very helpful it was too. (Click here)
1 comment:
Brennan Manning. Abba's Child. Read. Trust me!
Post a Comment