Sunday, October 28, 2007


Cyber Community and other bottomless time investment pits…
Honestly I have to stop falling for these things. This week yet another person asked whether I was on Facebook or not. I said no but unfortunately this weekend curiosity got the better of me and I registered onto it. So (takes a deep breath) that’s MSN, Blog, Bebo, YouTube, Flickr, Skype and now Facebook I spend time on and I'm sure there are others. Now before I go any further Facebook has put me in touch with a few old muckers from my youth and I’m delighted. However, the last thing I need is to continue to feed my obsession with cyber toys. Maybe it is because I don’t get out much these days with my current career being what it is but surely getting out and being with people would be a lot healthier.

Ironically two people have warned me on my "Wall" within Facebook of how much of a waste of time it can become. I’m sure it is by no coincidence that I’ve been mindful recently of how much rubbish fills my life at the expense of important things. Yes, even the most important things like spiritual growth, family relationships and Church.

I suppose I’m calling here for us to exercise more wisdom and discernment with these things. Forgetting to is easy done as I’ve just born testament to. However the next time you sign up for something in cyber world, order a new game for your Playstation or sign a blank time cheque in front of the TV ask yourself is this the way you want to invest your time or is there more healthier alternatives…
*
Ps Some new photos on the photo album and an entry or two made in Pike of the Year - (Links to your left)

3 comments:

Debs Erwin said...

Hear what you're saying, it's one of the reasons I deleted my Bebo and I'm going to get rid of my MySpace at some point soon too.
Absolutely loving your photos on your Flickr, they're sooo good! Keep it up!

dave wiggins said...

you love it

Boaly said...

Yep, agree totally. Bebo, Myspace, Facebook etc are ok, but can take over. Recently I've had to limit myself as to the amount of time I spend online (I say at 00:28). Thanks for the reminder of this, and a warning to prioritize!