Saturday, September 20, 2003

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy! Exodus 20
Sporadically over the past few months I’ve been chasing the answer to the following questions - What is a Sabbath? What does it mean by keeping it holy? You know I can’t really answer either question to my satisfaction, however I can probably tell you more of what its not than by what it is.

I know that it’s not running yourself into the ground with 4 or 5 church meetings throughout the day. I did this for a sizeable part of my youth and all it left me with was a sense that to be holy was to be assessed by how many meetings you could attend. Now I know that to be false because I was attending all that came my way and I’d go as far as to say that I rarely personally encountered Christ. What it did do was give me a sickner of organised religion. In fact it even give me a deep routed suspicion of people, Christianity and the motives within.

I also know that its not watching 5 – 6 hours of TV whilst doing the rounds with the family. I’ve done that too for a few years and its not holy nor restful in the spiritual sense. Its good but is it a sabbath? - What would make it different from a Saturday?

So what is a “Sabbath” and what does it mean to keep it holy?

I accept it could look different for other individuals but I’m believe that it’s a day that’s two fold in many senses. That I bring to him my worship, that I spend quality time with him, where communication is clear and participative and where there is restoration and renewal. So what should that look like?

My pondering travels on....

No comments: