Today I lost a good friend I never met.
I really only expect this to happen once in my life but today I’m mourning for a friend of mine whom I never met but yet has influenced me far beyond anyone else in entertainment – Johnny Cash. Johnny Cash was first introduced to me by my father who has been a life long fan. Initially we didn’t get on but as I’ve often joked, my dad battered him into my DNA whether I wanted him to or not. As a result in times of difficulty and hurt I often turned to Johnny’s music, his voice surrounding me like a blanket of comfort.
If I was put in a corner and asked what one thing did Johnny teach me that had such an effect I’d have to say this. In Johnny’s life I clearly saw Jesus. There’s no doubting it Johnny had a hard life, often fell victim to temptation, but yet always without compromise told God’s story of love and Jesus’s of forgiveness. He demonstrated humility – if someone with his status could repent then why couldn’t I? He exuded faith – if someone like him needed to believe and did then why didn’t I?
I suppose when I’ve watched films of Elvis’s or John Lennon’s funeral I’ve often mocked the thousands of tear shedding people accusing them of idolatry. However today whilst not necessarily comfortable I understand.
No comments:
Post a Comment