I’m rapidly becoming a fan of Radio 2. I love Chris Evans in the evenings (5-7pm Mon - Fri) and Jonathon Ross on a Saturday morning can be hysterical. Whilst I can’t stand Terry Wogan once he opens his mouth (7.30-9.30am Mon - Fri) one has to confess that he has a great taste in music. Steve Wright (3-5pm Mon - Fri) is good but nowhere near as creative and funny as he was 10 – 20 years ago – still worth a listen though. He’s on holiday this week and so Mark Radcliffe and Liza Tarbuck have stepped in. If I’m honest I think they are great and are doing a better job than Steve Wright in fact I’d prefer it if they took the slot. One of the things they do is play the tracks of a listeners CD:CV and it makes for some great listening. Here is mine.
*
The first record you ever bought?
Motorhead – Iron Fist (1982) – Influenced heavily by my mates at the time I thought that this made me a Rocker and a hard man all in one go. I was nine at the time. What made it even cooler was that it was on red vinyl!
The song that led to your first popstar crush?
Was Samantha Fox ever a popstar?? ;-) I’m not sure I ever had a pop star crush but if it counts I used to think that if I was 20 years older I’d make a b-line for Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac. Actually if she sang to me her voice would be enough to melt me never mind anything else.

The song that reminds you of your first true love?
Love and Regret - Deacon Blue. I fell in and out of love for the first time as this song and the album it belonged to introduced itself to me. This song in particular brings it all back… I’ll move on before a few mates who have known me long enough to remember start the slaggin!
A song that's guaranteed to make you dance?
(Your Love keeps lifting me) Higher & Higher by Jackie Wilson. This song is my all time favourite. So much so I’ve never bought a copy of it for fear of over playing it and giving myself a sickner. As the song title suggests it lifts one and has on occasion brought a tear or two of joy.
Your favourite holiday track?
It’s a tie between The Beatles “Magical Mystery Tour” and Oasis’s “Champaign Supernova”. (Link to Oasis video) “Magical Mystery tour” is just full of joy and anticipation whereas “Champaign Supernova” is one of those songs I find chills me and puts me in a reflective mood, not sure why.
The song you'd most like to sing on stage?
Well let us start by saying that I can’t sing and so to my regret this would never happen however I have often imagined it. There are a few that come to mind but the one I’d chose is probably U2’s “Trip through your wires” (Click on link for a little snippet of it) found on “The Joshua Tree” album. It’s a right royal thumping tune that may forgive the odd bum note or two.
*
Love and Regret - Deacon Blue. I fell in and out of love for the first time as this song and the album it belonged to introduced itself to me. This song in particular brings it all back… I’ll move on before a few mates who have known me long enough to remember start the slaggin!
A song that's guaranteed to make you dance?
(Your Love keeps lifting me) Higher & Higher by Jackie Wilson. This song is my all time favourite. So much so I’ve never bought a copy of it for fear of over playing it and giving myself a sickner. As the song title suggests it lifts one and has on occasion brought a tear or two of joy.
Your favourite holiday track?
It’s a tie between The Beatles “Magical Mystery Tour” and Oasis’s “Champaign Supernova”. (Link to Oasis video) “Magical Mystery tour” is just full of joy and anticipation whereas “Champaign Supernova” is one of those songs I find chills me and puts me in a reflective mood, not sure why.
The song you'd most like to sing on stage?
Well let us start by saying that I can’t sing and so to my regret this would never happen however I have often imagined it. There are a few that come to mind but the one I’d chose is probably U2’s “Trip through your wires” (Click on link for a little snippet of it) found on “The Joshua Tree” album. It’s a right royal thumping tune that may forgive the odd bum note or two.
*

The most embarrassing record you ever bought?
Bucks Fizz “Making your mind up”. In my defence my mum bought it for me the day after they won the Eurovision with it. I didn’t invest any pocket money and I don’t remember asking her to buy it. The only thing I can think of that gave her the impression I was interested in it was perhaps the moment the two lads in the band pulled the girls skirts off. (Check out 1 minute 50)For an eight year old that was highly amusing…
The one song you wish you'd written?
Interestingly when Paul McCartney was asked this question he responded with the same one. “Just the way you are” Billy Joel. It’s a beautifully penned lyric complemented with an equally beautiful melody. It also came close to being the answer to the favourite love song question.
The best guitar riff ever
Hmmm I’m not a musician and so I’m unsure as to the definition of riff. This is a hard one and most difficult not to give a very predicable answer. My favourite would probably come from Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” (Check out 3 minutes 5ish) however Eric Clapton’s “Cocaine” comes close as does the Rolling Stones “Brown Sugar”
Your favourite love song?
I have a few but “Woman” by John Lennon stands out for lyrical reasons. Musically its ok but the words have often come close to what I’d like to express on a brave few occasions to Jane.
The track that reminds you of your best mates?
Never tear us apart – INXS. This song reminds me of my 21st birthday which I spent on holiday in Corfu with some of my best mates. We hung out by this pool a few blocks from ours and listened to this bloke behind the bar spin his favourite tunes all day. This one stands out for some reason. Incidentally this was around the time I read 3 or 4 conspiracy books looking at Elvis’s death. I’m still convinced he’s alive to this day. ;-)
I think that my CD:CV underlines the point that my tastes are fairly mainstream and whilst trying to answer honestly I did try to avoid lesser known tracks as it would have made it challenging to relate to. Wouldn’t this make a great BlogTag? Well I’ll maybe not take it that far but perhaps you might want to post your own…
Happy Easter Folks...
1 comment:
the king is alive - i believe it too!
Post a Comment