I was out yesterday on a golf course for the first time in 18 months or so. It all started with a wee bit of pitch and putt last week in Donegal with my brother-in-law Joe. He had never played before and turned out to be deadly with a five iron nearly missing a number of cars, two front living rooms and a Chinese restaurant!! Anyway that’s another story which I’m sure Joe and I will enjoy for a long time to come like the Conger Eel story amongst others from previous years.
Joe enjoying Donegal to the full!! (As always)
Yesterday I went to Blackwood Golf Course (Bangor) with my Dad AKA "Wee Iron Man Rob". I played out of my skin which is well below average in golfing terms but I loved it. So here’s the question why do I allow things to drop so easily?
"Wee Iron man Rob"
It’s like fishing, every year around March my mates will say "lets get out" and I will make up some excuse not to go. This then bleeds into April and often into May too. Then in June I’ll pick up a rod and head out. I’ll hate the first couple of hours as I often find unwinding difficult if I haven't done it in a while. It can often seem as painful as trying to walk on a leg that has been deprived of circulation for half an hour. After the pain however comes peace and I’ll say "I should have done this sooner". It’s the old yet crucial point of prioritising quality time and placing a higher value on self preservation and restoration. After all if we are going to give ourselves away in serving others we need something to give. When was the last time you retreated from life and invested in some restoration?
Golf clubs in one hand, fishing stuff in the other...
2 comments:
Heck do I miss that car... :-(
It's always the way pete! i have the same problem with golf... leave it till about Auguest the 20th to go out... love it, play everyweek until October. And say, next year i'll start playing in May!
Post a Comment