Elton John (Not that I’m a fan) has a hit called Saturday nights alright (For fighting), well recently I’ve had an experience that shows me that Friday nights a good night too. Over the past number of Friday nights I have had the privilege of being part of the prayer gathering covering the outreach teams of the “MorEdge” initiative and I’ve found it unusual.
There have never been more than three of us yet it’s been astoundingly powerful! We gather from 10pm – 2pm in the EDGE and people are free to come and go as the pressures of life allow them. There are no gimmicks, interactive stimulus or magic Spiritual formula it’s simply warfare. I have spent many a moment considering how we can make it cool and attractive. I hold my hand up and confess that I’ve grown increasingly frustrated with the lack of people engaging with prayer for our town across the generations. Why is the Church of Ballynahinch not praying for its town? Why can other initiatives in towns across our province be blessed with young and old alike eating up opportunities to pray and yet we struggle?
I don’t have any answers but this I do know. Having taken my eyes off the frustrations and asked God to show up he has! He has given us what I call the bullet technique of prayer and it’s been unusually powerful… We simply ask God to direct our thinking over the needs of the teams, the people they meet and our town and as he does we straight shoot it out in quick fire prayers. Time flies in and as you leave you feel a sense that you’ve had a significant encounter with God, done battle on his behalf, and been spiritually blessed and exhausted! It’s similar to the feeling you get going to the gym only spiritual and with eternal results. Trust me on this one, if you come you’ll have an unusual and significant time – come on join our ranks the battle rages!
*
No comments:
Post a Comment