Friday, April 01, 2005

Identity, dark places & deception…
So a while back as you know I set a course out of the harbour that has been Youth For Christ for nearly 6 years now. For a season I thought that I wanted to leave but God wouldn’t let me, but now I’ve come to realise that it was the other way round.

To my horror I’ve awakened to the fact that my identity and sense of self worth was wrapped up in what I did. I was confused to find that on the night after having handing in my resignation I felt so insecure that I needed to hold on to Jane like my life depended on it. I felt incredibly disoriented and fearful.

Debs Erwin told me once that YFC won’t be in heaven, at the time it left me wondering had she been on the cider but now I know what she meant. When it boils down to it Satan would rather us cherish our ministerial status than intimacy with Christ.

Every year as I see people sign up for things like year teams, mission teams, leading something or bible college I fear a little. You can tell that some of them as I have, have been sucking the sweet of superiority. I hate when that occasionally develops into a smug look of “I’ve made it”. They, as I did, have missed the point.

Ps. Did you notice the death of the clock… it had been annoying us here for awhile

No comments: