Monday, October 27, 2003

A Sunday Comment
Anna, a much loved colleague and friend of mine from the office wrote this as a reflection of what she was feeling and thinking as she journeyed through a Sunday morning that was 26th October 2003.

Well it is that special day again, Sunday, God’s day. The clocks have gone back – why do I not feel that I had an extra hour in bed? Could it be that I used it up last night? I did say it was God’s day, but I am not awakened by the lovely voice of William Crawley and Sunday Sequence. (It’s lovely waking up with William each Sunday morning- Well I do have my husband beside me) A quick peck “Morning Love”, he (my husband) is concentrating on the radio this morning, the rugby is on. I listen for a while. My beloved needs to see and hear. (Male thing) I in my imagination am being transported to the pitch. The excited tones of Jim Neilly are enough for me. My Husband, mere man, needs the TV. God has not been mentioned as yet this morning. He’s waiting on the other side of the goal posts. He’s patient. We eat breakfast – Oh we do say grace. Well my husband did ! I happened to yawn at the wrong time, but got there for the AMEN. My husband continues to watch the rugby. I put stuffing in the oven. The aroma permeates the house, it is beautiful, but the only stuffing my man is interested in is the ‘stuffin’ he fears Ireland may get from Argentina.

I go to shower. Well at least Sunday Sequence is on there. God has been allocated the smallest room in the house to-day. No it is not some deep theological discussion they are having. It is about the children living in poverty in Ireland. I pondered on this. I thought of our half empty churches, together spending millions of pounds on upgrading, on maintenance, on modern technology. What a force we could be if we all came together, ALL ONE IN CHRIST, and save money and perhaps reach and save more souls .Are we spending HIS money wisely? Are we being too cushioned and comfortable now, while others go to hell on empty stomachs?

Just think - The awesome POWER of a UNITED CHURCH, GOD CENTERED, SPIRIT FILLED, VISIONARY NOT DREAMERS, IN TOP GEAR, at FULL Throttle – WHAT POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway it is amazing, God is the God not only of the Past, but the future. Maybe He knows of a coming REVIVAL, maybe these empty PEWS will soon be filled with people praising an amazing God.

Politically speaking- who is going to look after the poor? Amazing is it not that Sein Fein and the DUP both have a good record of taking an interest in ‘their’ people and their social needs. Just think of those two pairing up!! What a Duo!!!! Come to think of it have you ever wondered what the DUP and the Vatican have in common.. Well as I see it both have a pope who's wish is to remain ‘in harness’ until they die!!!!!!!!!

We need to pray for our political situation – Ruled from England by Tony Blair (and Cherie - Hinge and Bracket) take a look at the smile – you have heard it first here – make a good cartoon for the conservatives for the election. Mind you they don’t have too much to crow about – just thought I would help them.

Well I do need to spend a moment or two with God. This Sunday morning there will be many pious people sitting in our pews, ‘holier than thou’ attitude, until the benediction. Once the Amen is sounded, souls will be forgotten, the Post Mortem of the match will take place (Just as well Ireland won, in case you didn’t hear) and God will be ‘kicked’ into touch just for another few hours, days or sadly for too many Christians, for another week – when once more the Bible is lifted, the dust is blown off, or for the more fastidious, dusted down with (the clean hanky of course)!!, then God will once again be on the Agenda.

This morning as I opened my front door, it was a beautiful morning. Almost November, the sky is summer blue, with wispy clouds. What a great Creator God we serve. I look up and my heart is overwhelmed by God’s mercy to all of us, me included, who push Him to the back burner of our lives more often than we would care to admit. Thank you God for loving me. Thank you God for saving me. Thank you God for creating me, me, and for your wonderful unconditional love to a church (your Bride) that is sometimes slow to spread that love to the needy around them.

Hope this has not been too controversial, just wanting to stir those ‘dozing’ brain cells and create a discussion.
Anna.

If you don’t know Anna believe me you want to – a powerful woman of God who’s sense of humour has often kept me sane within the workplace…

No comments: