Saturday, May 24, 2003

9 for the weekend
Things I’ve learnt over the past 2 – 3 weeks

1. Paul & Fiona Coles.
Were and are not pregnant – thank goodness can you imagine what their kid would look like!!

2. Process over result.
A wise friend and colleague said to me that in a time of change or uncertainty its always process over result. Words which have stayed with me ever since.

3. Never take your driving for granted.
On Tuesday 13th May I was involved in a car accident which was severe enough that if God hadn’t of intervened it could have taken me towards my eternal reward. As a result my 306 was written off and looked like a disregarded chip paper – mind you if you snaked out of control at 55mph making you go down a 6ft ditch nose first, turning you on your side, whilst hitting a telegraph pole carrying electricity to Carryduff you wouldn’t look that good either. Cause of accident:- Taking a wet road for granted whilst ignoring the possibility that someone could pull out on me.

4. Nothing hurts more than seeing Jane in pain.
Shortly after the accident Jane came on the scene she turned grey and dumb struck (A rare phenomenon indeed!) . This lasted for a few days but one of the few things she did say cutting to the core of my being was that she had come close to having to organise my funeral. Seeing Jane that upset is a thing I’ll never forget along with the sense that I’d really let her down. All of a sudden a thing I’d always known but had somehow forgotten shock me like a dog with a rabbit – Jane is “THE” most single important person in my life and with the exception of God is the thing I care for most.

5. Never eat a kebab with the car window down.
There I sat with my mate Hugo just a few hours after having written off my car indulging in the comfort of a good kebab. When suddenly a Labrador stuck its head through the window had a large lick of it and ran off. I’ve never seen or heard Hugo laugh so hard…..

6. Turning 30 a time for review.
Last Sunday I turned 30. I don’t think anything else has focused my mind more on were I’m investing my life. Yesterday I heard a good friend say that “We spend the first half of our lives looking for success and the last half looking for significance”. That’s exactly how it feels.

7. Johnny Cash can still deliver.
For my 30th Jane bought me amongst a lot of other things the latest Johnny Cash album called “The Man Comes Around”. It has to be the best album I’ve heard in months and I can understand how it won a few Grammys…… and just went gold! Congratulations Mr Cash.

8. Church members meetings are not short!
As you may or may not know I’ve recently become a member of Ballynahinch Baptist. Last Sunday Bruce, our church secretary, announced that there would be a short members meeting on Wednesday night. Well I took him at his word and at 7.15 on Wednesday night I left the dog with the freedom of the house, the computer on etc – 3 and a half hours later I got into the car to go home.

9. The value of friends.
Over the past few week so many people have spoken into my life too many to mention. Without friends life really would be impossible.

A word of appreciation: For Barney our dog and his never ending friendship.