Sunday, January 26, 2003

Prayer, a holistic thing…..

“A prayer makes sense only if it is lived. Unless they are “lived”, unless life and prayer become completely interwoven, prayers become a sort of polite madrigal which you offer to God at moments when you are giving time to him”

Anthony Bloom

“The work of our hands and of our minds is acted-out prayer, a love offering to a living God”

Richard Foster


You know I once heard somebody talk who had come to faith whilst in prison. The question was did you find it hard to put your time in? They responded no I prayed! I prayed whilst working in the laundry, whilst on exercise and in my cell – my life has become one big prayer.

At the time I thought phew that’s beautiful but unobtainable….. and anyway it sounds incredibly boring!! However, as time passed by and as I read the above material it became clearer what they had been talking about. I’ve no more to say other than to encourage you to meditate on the words of Anthony Bloom & Richard Foster.

Ps I’m at the dentist tomorrow morning for 3 filings – all prayers gladly accepted!

No comments: