Sunday, February 23, 2014

The first of 2014...

Don’t just love it when space opens up and you can get into a book and read it from cover to cover fairly quickly!  Reading suddenly becomes dare I say it pleasurable and so much more educational, depending on what you are reading of course.  This weekend I stumbled across a book by Tim Keller called “The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness”.

Now when I say “book” I am cheating a bit as its more like an extended essay.  I humorously can justify calling it a book because I bought it for my Kindle (£1) and if I wanted a hard copy (£3) it would come bound and not loose leaf sheets, therefore its not an essay but a book.  So it’s with great delight I can say that I have read my first book of 2014! 


I haven’t read Tim Keller before but my boss frequently refers to his books and has even based some of his recent sermons on one Keller wrote on marriage.  This book takes a look a self esteem through the eyes of the apostle Paul, an interesting concept in itself!  He turns both traditional and modern theory on its head and shows a new way to approach self esteem.  I’ll not spoil it for you but I will recommend it.  It’s a bit of a thought provoker and a mind bender and is no doubt worth a couple of reads.  At the prices mentioned its represents great value and provides robust and nutritious food for the spirit! 


No comments: