Friday, February 20, 2009

Adventure in the outdoors!
What an interesting couple of weeks it’s been! With getting the new bike and covering 40 miles in forest, road and trail and being introduced to the sport of Geocaching through my old mate Charlie Knox. Geo what I hear you ask? Well it is a sport that blends beautifully the exercise of walking with the technology of satellite navigation and makes it into a 21st century treasure hunt.
*


All over the world people have hidden containers (caches) which hold a log to register you’ve found it and some also contain swappables. These can be anything from small toys to key rings to pens, and as long as you leave something behind you can take something. These caches can be found by using a handheld GPS system and even some mobile phones now can be used. To start your hunt of you get clues and coordinates from the website www.geocaching.com


Charlie and I found 5 whilst walking round Hillsborough Forest and we had a ball in the process! I’m just hoping that my better half reads this and gets the hint that I want a handheld GPS system for my birthday in May ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya loud and clear!!!

Debs Erwin said...

The photo at the top suggests you've been in Belfast with your bike, did you cycle from home to there?!
Liking the blog's new look btw! :)

Anonymous said...

No, we cycled down the path from jordanstown to Stranmillis and back - pure quality and very safe!!