Friday, October 07, 2005

Where have all the hero’s gone?
I used to joke that I had 4 hero’s – John Wayne, Johnny Cash, David Bowie and Ronnie Barker. I know you’re thinking “that’s a weird mix” but hey throughout my life they have each touched and inspired me. It was therefore with great regret that I heard the news of Ronnie Barkers death. For me Ronnie Barker or "The Governor" as his mates called him was the funniest and most talented comic actor of his generation. His work often reduced me to tears as I laughed hysterically gasping for breath. A few years ago now, when I was living at home I got up early and stuck a video on of “Open all hours”. I was laughing that hard that my mum was awakened from her sleep and confusing the laughter for crying. Bless her, she came rushing down the stairs to offer comfort.

Well Ronnie I once heard you say in interview that you wanted people to remember you and say “Boy did he make me laugh”. Well for me that’s certainly the case – thanks for the laughter and the memories!


No comments: