Built for community?
I heard it said so many times that God has built us for community, a statement with which I have often struggled. To be honest when God wired me up he did a very unique job for which I’m very thankful, you see I’m a people person but I’ve also been built for solitude.
When I worked for YFC I had a job that was essentially about people, whether it was servicing a committee, training volunteers, advising chairpeople, or supporting staff, the job was predominately about people. The funny thing was but as much as I loved the job and I did with all my heart, I often cherished as much the times when I was able to be alone.
In my head I couldn’t compute what drew people to socialise out of work, I cherished being on my own or with my family. I was often confused by those who talked about their deep belief in the importance of community and Church. I hadn’t the same desire, in fact far from it, making me wonder why I was different.
However, now a month out of YFC I have come to the startling realisation that not only was I an actively social person but I was also within a community which often fulfilled the role of Church. Now I’m outside of it I feel strangely isolated, and I’m shocked… It’s weird, it’s like it sucked up all of what energy I had for people, it fulfilled my need for community, and now it’s not there I’m kind of bewildered…
*
No comments:
Post a Comment