Bob Martin (Granda)
25th December 1918 – 13th February 1994
10 years ago this weekend and ironically on a Sunday my Granda Bobby was taken to glory. Suddenly, silently and in the midst of serving his Lord. Granda was found dead in a stranger’s driveway as he took the news of his Saviour’s love from door to door.
Granda was a special and a unique character who I’ve tried to emanate all my life. A year later as I dedicated my dissertation to him I wrote:-
“Thank-you for the many precious gems you gave me such as motivation, inspiration, and the jewel in the crown, laughter. Each and every gem I cherish deeply and hold close to my heart. You’ll always be part of me”
Granda was a man of contradiction, some of which I didn’t and don’t understand. He was a strong character, who knew what he believed allowing those beliefs to sometimes crowd out his love and grace. He was a child born between two world wars of which the circumstance of poverty and the value base of discipline had left their mark. However, having spent time with him on a daily basis whilst studying in Tec I saw a side to him that left me shaped forever. His sense of mischief, humour, love, and faith where central to his being and of which I now hold dear as I allow them to direct me through my own life journey.
The lessons that fate taught me.
In the January of ’94 I went to live and study in Dublin for 4 months as part of my degree. With me came Jane who I had started dating in March of the previous year and who’s Catholic background made me fear Granda’s response. We had had a conversation in December that was awkward but didn’t involve Jane, as a result I started to dread the day I would tell him about her. I even stopped visiting him as I put off the inevitable. Well on this weekend ten years ago he died with one of the last things he had said of me being to my father. He expressed a wish for my Dad to tell me that if my relationship with Jane was stopping me visit it shouldn’t be. Well the result of his death, our unfinished conversation and my foolishness cut me to a depth that nothing else has or likely will. I don’t think I have ever stopped missing him and I often shed a tear for him. These two lessons stay with me,
1. Share your love for people with them, never be secretive or ashamed of it. Tell them to their face and tell them often.
2. Always be a role model of love and laughter, your age is irrelevant and the impact you can have on someone is astonishing and God honouring – irrespective of their age, gender or background.
Granda, when I eventually join you I have a long overdue hug of thanks and the words I love you – I dearly wish I had said them earlier.
No comments:
Post a Comment