Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Touch
I was driving along the Lisburn to Ballynahinch road yesterday when it hit me that one of the things that had me smile and feel refreshed during the weekend had also been an act that was incredibly simple and momentary. A friend of mine in the church has the occasional habit of putting his hand on my shoulder and saying “Alright Peter” as he walks past. There’s rarely conversation but the act of affirmation is one of significance and value.

In the this age of child protection were touch is frowned upon I believe its easy to throw the baby out with the bath water. When was the last time I greeted someone with a warm handshake, hug or even kiss. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not that tactile a person and hugs and kisses are strictly reserved - but isn’t it time I was more generous with my handshakes, shoulder touches, and even putting my arm round someone’s shoulders!

Ps. Leaving comments is also very affirming....... hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

Album of the day:- David Bowie “BBC Radio Theatre, London, June 27, 2000”

No comments: